Following the bright path (sic) of the Ai-Thinker AiLight / Noduino OpenLight I wrote about a few weeks ago, now it’s turn for one of those devices you purchase but once they arrive they are stored in the TODO box until they eventually come back to life.
The Magic Home LED Controller [Aliexpress, also available from Ebay] is an ESP8266 based single-color RGB(W) LED strip controller. It works with every 5050 LED strip [Aliexpress] out there. Just be careful since even thou some LED strips are waterproof [Aliexpress] this controller is not.
Being able to flash a custom firmware in the controller lets you really own the device. Why? Because:
- You are not required to install a proprietary app on you phone to manage it
- You are not limited by the options the developers of that app have decided you will need
- You can make it interoperate with other devices at home
- You, and only you, know when you turn on your lights
- And if all the previous points are not enough: it’s so much fun!